Nicole Thorn - Drop and Give me 20! 20 Hard Questions for Hard Writers!
Pre Question - So, who are you?
Nicole Thorn, or Cappie, if you want. I write books, sulk, and knit sometimes. I also try to be funny, because I need validation.
1. Are you “An Author” -or- “A Writer”? What’s the difference?
Writer, I guess. I write more than books, so I can’t really say I’m only an author. I also write bad jokes and stupid facebook posts.
2. What is your biggest failure?
It’s got nothing to do with books, so I won’t bum you guys out.
3. What genre do you love the most, hate the most, and possibly want to try your hand at writing
Paranormal is my preference, but I dabble in more humany things. I wouldn’t do anything without romance, since I would get bored.
4. What’s worse, a bombastic “this sucks!” 1-star review, or a “meh” 3-star review?
I’d rather have the three stars, because I’m fragile.
5. How comfortable are you with writing sexual scenes?
I was really squirmy at first, since I had no clue what I was doing. But I have at least one sex scene in most of my books, so I kind of had to get used to them. I totes know how to do sex, so that helps.
6. What is your creative Kryptonite?
The internet. Bright colors. Music. TV. Food. The wall. Everything distracts me.
7. What popular movie/book/music, which others adore, do you secretly despise?
I’m a sucker for a couple YA books, but I’m really into musicals right now. Like… really into them. I make my cats uncomfortable with how much I sing to them.
8. What is the worst criticism you ever received? How did it make you feel?
Someone left me a review that said I went for the easy sell in one of my books, and it broke my heart a little. I try to do things that I don’t read a lot, so the last thing I want to hear is that I remind people of something, or I sold out. I’m too poor to be a sell out.
9. If you could have one “do-over” in your life, what would it be?
Again, nothing to do with books, but I would have fought a little harder for a friend I lost for a while. Teens, what can ya do?
10. How long/how many rejections did you get before someone gave you your shot?
Hahaha. If I kept track of that, I would be crying in a gutter. I got rejected hundreds of times, and I still do very often. I can’t imagine there will be a time when I don’t get rejected.
11. What was the last movie/book which made you cry?
I watched The Last Five Years about a week ago and it hit a little close to home. I had to listen to the goddess Anna Kendrick singing the exact things I was feeling at the time.
12. Which writer’s trope are you the most sick of...and possibly caught yourself doing?
I worry I make my characters a little too cliché sometimes, so I guess that.
13. On a scale of 1 to 10, what is your writer’s ego?
None. I think I’m an awful writer most days. Okay with making stories, but meh on the actual writing part. It’s amazing anyone likes me.
14. Do you have any scars (mental or physical)? Which one(s) is/are your most memorable?
Loads. I’m really pale, so I scar easy. My brain is made of mental scars, which I won’t go into detail here. I’ll just say that there’s a reason so many of my characters have abuse issues.
15. Have you ever been in a fight/punched in the face? How did/would you react?
No, but God I want to. Since I was a little girl, I’ve wanted to punch someone in the face. I don’t know why….
16. What’s the most difficult thing about writing characters with sexual identity different from your own?
I don’t have a problem with that. I can identify with whoever’s POV I’m on, so I can pretend for a little while.
17. How hard is it to read a book for enjoyment after you began writing books? Since you “know how the sausage is made” are you more lenient or harsher on other authors?
Yeah, I notice a lot of grammar errors now, and if they need an editor. I will never be able to get past word echoes. It sticks out like a sore thumb.
18. Some authors write to share stories. Others write to mask pain. Why do you write? And no “because I want to tell stories” answer. Why do YOU write?
I write because it’s a really great way to purge pain. If I get it all out on paper, then it doesn’t hurt as much. It’s the first real outlet I’ve ever had, and it helps me figure out exactly what’s wrong with me. It happens to be a lot of things.
19. One day, on a nice autumn fall-walk in the woods, you bend down to tie your shoe. It’s then that you notice the most beautiful flower. You pick it and that’s when you hear a scream. The flower is screaming in pain. From all around you, you hear more screams. Deep, horrible screams. The branches of the trees sway and move. “You pick one of us, and now we shall pick you,” a screeching voice cries out. The trees begin to uproot themselves as jagged, twisted maws appear on their trunks. You are miles from your car and the forest is alive with vengeful vegetation. You can have one weapon of choice, a luxury item and three books, what do you do?
I would put the books down because they wouldn’t help me. I would also put the luxury item down, and hope I had a flamethrower as a weapon.
20. OK, last chance here...What would you like fans, and potential fans, to know about you as a person?
I feel like they can already tell I’m not a sane person, so… I don’t know, maybe that I have the entirety of the Haunted Mansion ride memorized. Yeah, that’s what they should know. Splash Mountain too.
Thank you so much for your time Nicole! If you want to know more about her, please check out her info below!
@CappieThorn on Instagram